So, brewday this weekend!

clinton clinton at hcoop.net
Sat Jan 22 03:08:15 EST 2011

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 06:31:11 -0500, Steve Killen
<steven.f.killen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings, folks,
>
> Looks like this Sunday will be brewday proper. Saturday Clinton and I
will
> spend visiting the Fifth Season Gardening Co. & American Brewmaster.
Shall
> we say noon Sunday?

Ok, since you are going to the gardening supply without me we need the
following:

 - 6 gal Better Bottle
 - Stopper + 3 piece airlock (ask someone for the stopper size, I have
   no idea for a BB)
 - pH tests strips (for mashing, 4.9-6.2 range)

That is around... $35. I'm not sure what to do for the rest...

After considering the options I think tomorrow I am going to build a
full sized batch sparge mash tun:
<http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/>. My thinking is ... minimashing will
take almost as long and almost as much fuel, so why not go from 2.5
gallons to 5 gallons and get it over with (that, and the coolers are
pretty much the same price).

If we do this one all (or mostly) grain I suggest formulating the recipe
using brewtarget <http://brewtarget.sourceforge.net/> because it is
designed to calculate water additions and temperatures and whatnot. The
8 gal kettle + 5 gal cooler equipment profile is a good starting point.

So, the recipe basics:

    Grains:
     - 5.5lb Pilsener Malt
     - 2.5lb Munich Malt
     - 1.0lb Malted Wheat
     - 1.0lb piloncillo (or other partially refined sugar)

    Hops:
     - 60 min: 1.0oz Northern Brewer (7% AA)
     - 30 min: 1.5oz Saaz (3% AA)
     -  5 min: 2.0oz Kent Goldings (5% AA)

    Spices:
     - 19g Indian Coriander (there are several Indian shops near my
       house)
     - Zest of 1 seville/sour orange (or: 1 regular orange + 1/4
       grapefruit)
     - 1g grains of paradise or black pepper (crushed coarsely)

I'm betting our extraction efficiency is going to be pretty low so we
can top the batch off with at least what is left in that one bag (I
think we should unconditionally add that lest it go to waste... oh no a
stronger beer the end of the world).