Steve's next brew

Steve Killen steven.f.killen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 12:38:58 EST 2011

I feel confident. Here's the recipe:

.5 lb Flaked Wheat
.5 lb Belgian Aromatic Malt
.25 lb Flaked Oats
.25 lb Rice or Oat Hulls

Start of boil (1hr):
5.5lb. Wheat Dry Malt extract (I'm sure we can convert to LME)
1oz East Kent Goldings

15 minutes before end, add
.5oz Kent Goldings
.25oz Belgian Bitter Orange Peel
.75tsp Crushed Coriander Seed
1/8tsp Crushed Cumin seed

2 minutes before end, add
.5oz Czech Saaz hops
.5oz Belgian Bitter Orange Peels
.5tsp Crushed Coriander seed
1/8tsp Crushed Cumin seeds

Chill wort, pitch yeast. Beer Captured recommends Wyeast 3463 (Forbidden
Fruit) or 3944 (Belgian Witbier) but we can use the dry yeast too I'm sure.

The notes say flaked grains are hard to use for homebrewers--does the wheat
clump or something?

--
Steve Killen
| elvestinkle @ twitter
| pursuing.calefaction.org

etsi provectus in sententiis sis
esse parvulus in spiritus debes

On Jan 18, 2011 11:40 PM, "Clinton Ebadi" <clinton at unknownlamer.org> wrote:
> Steve Killen <steven.f.killen at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> So I have settled on a beer for my next brew. I think I'm going to try
for a
>> Hoegaarden Wit! :) I am looking at it as a way to try my hand at recipe
>> conversion, and also looking forward to having a nice spring beer :)
>>
>> I am starting initially with the HWA in Beer Captured, and will fire up
QBrew