[HCoop-Misc] Handheld devices and Hcoop IMAP

Franklin Gordon Bynum frank at hcoop.net
Tue Apr 15 19:36:07 EDT 2008

Fellow members,

I'm in need of a handheld device that has 802.11b (that is _not_ a mobile
phone) and can connect to IMAP over TLS.  I would prefer that this device
be powered by free and open source software, but haven't found many such
devices yet (but do hope they exist).  So, my first question is: does
anyone know of a FOSS-powered handheld device that's not a phone that can
do what I've described here?

Second is, has anyone tried using an iPod Touch to connect to Hcoop's IMAP
service?  I toyed with one in an Apple Store and couldn't get it to work.
It complained about the SSL certificate, and I dismissed the warning in
such a way that I believed told it to go ahead and connect anyway.  At that
point, though, it seemed to get stuck.  I asked one of the staff, who went
to ask a "Genius" who was (surprise!) just as unhelpful as the first
person.  The Apple Knowledge Base was also unhelpful.

Thanks so much!

frank