[HCoop-Help] Help please with running my own apache.

Matthew Smith dogman at unifone.net.nz
Mon Jul 1 20:40:00 EDT 2019

On 01/07/19 07:59, Clinton Ebadi wrote:
> What do you need to achieve here?
While I write my django app I want to rsync to marsh and see it served
at mydomain and www.mydomain.
>   Apache may not be the right option --
> if you just need to run a wsgi app, using gunicorn
> (https://gunicorn.org/) is much simpler than attempting to run an entire
> apache just for mod_wsgi (and mod_python hasn't been updated since 2013
> so I think is effectively dead).
>
> Let me know if that seems reasonable;
Yes it does. I'm not wedded to any one option. I've just been trying to
get things working any way I could on my own. The best option for me now
is the one I can get the best support for here. That looks like
gunicorn. As you say it's simple to set up. They say to run it behind
nginx but that can wait for another day. Fastcgi doesn't appeal as much
because it isn't supported by django.
>   we definitely need to update
> documentation here
Yes:-) I might even contribute something to the wiki myself.

At this point I have two more questions:

1. How do I change my domtool config to serve my app at mydomain as well
as www.mydomain. Currently I have the config suggested on the ancient
"running you own apache" page, namely:
> mds at marsh:~$ cat .domtool/bdn-nz
> dom "barkingdognatives.nz" where
>     PhpVersion = php56;
> with
>   web "www" with
>     proxyPass "/" "http://marsh:50100/";
>     proxyPassReverse "/" "http://marsh:50100/";
>   end;
> end;
I made some effort with the domtool docs but it  still wasn't clear what
to do.

2. How would I have gunicorn persist after logout? I seem to be able do
this by just appending '&' to the command line, but something tells me
there is a better way.

Ta, Matthew.