[HCoop-Help] alpine mail directory permissions

dbrownst dbrownst at hcoop.net
Mon Feb 2 01:22:07 EST 2015

Greetings all,

I am looking for some assistance with Alpine.

I was logged into hcoop, and running Alpine in a terminal window when
the program aborted in a most unusual fashion.  I think that the program
was trying to write a temporary file associated with the email that I
was composing at the time, but it was unable to write the file.  I have
no idea why.

Now when I try to restart the program, I receive the error:
"The "/afs/hcoop.net/user/d/db/dbrownst/mail" subdirectory already
exists, but it is not writable by Alpine so Alpine cannot run.
Please correct the permissions and restart Alpine."

Can you tell me what the proper permissions ought to be?  At present
they read as:
drwx------  2 dbrownst nogroup    2048 Feb  1 19:59 mail

I've checked the permissions for this folder on a non-hcoop system, and
they appear to be the same as the hcoop mail folder permissions.  And,
that other system works with those permissions.

Many thanks for your help,
David B.