[HCoop-Help] Fw: Lost contents of a file that makes my site work - need recovery fr om r ecent backup

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Sat Dec 22 15:27:38 EST 2012

"j.c.hallgren at juno.com" <j.c.hallgren at juno.com> writes:

> Hi!
>
> It's happened again! Same file is now empty! As of 12/21 at 20:07 or
> so.... But some things are a bit different this time as i seem to have
> that log file of raw input still on site (but converting that to
> processed format would take much extensive manual work) -- and my last
> local backup of showpostTC.html on my PC is from 10/22/12 (haven't
> been downloading it for quite some time -- sorry) -- log file covers
> that period, I think -- thus a backup of showpostTC from a day or two
> ago would be ideal -- even one from last few days would be VERY
> helpful -- thanks

I have some bad news :(

Sometime in the last 60 days, rsync.net silently stopped contacting us
causing the remote backup runs to not happen. Unfortunately, for some
reason the daily `vos backupsys' also stopped on fritz leaving us
without a local backup of the previous day... our backup regime has
utterly failed :(

I'm not sure what else I can do... you hit your quota again which caused
the same bug as last time I think (I bumped you up to 14G from 7G to
give you a bit of breathing room). You should have received several low
quota warnings before this (afaict, the cron job is still working).

I want to apologize again for the backup regime failing so
miserably. Although it doesn't help you *now*, it is being replaced asap
with something a lot more robust (push instead of pull, complains loudly
if it fails).

Since you said you still had the raw input log, I made a read only
backup clone of your volume as it is now just in case. If you need to me
to mount it, let me know (I *think* you can mount it yourself, but it
requires knowing how to use the openafs mkmount commands...). If there
is *anything* I can do, let me know.