[HCoop-Help] server problems?

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Wed Feb 2 14:59:21 EST 2011

Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> writes:

> Lauren McNees <lauren at rosasharn.com> writes:
>
>> My website won't load, and it looks like a lot of other hcoop-hosted
>> websites won't load.
>
> I just checked this and my site on mire also timed out. I sshed into
> mire and the load average was above 11. Between the time I logged in and
> did the ps aux to find what was going on the load average dropped to
> normal and everything seems fine.
>
> I'll keep an eye on this--it could be that something is occasionally
> tying up all of the apache workers long enough to cause timeouts.

Ok, I spoke too soon. I forgot that we were still running the script
that checks if apache is responsive periodically and restarts it if not
(the load drop was because it was restarted).

Something or someone is making dozens of parallel requests to
conkeror.org which is filling all of the apache worker slots and making
moinmoin peg the cpu. It looks to have abated again now, but I'll keep
watching the apache server status for a while just in case.

--
Jessie: i stuck the phone antenna up the dogs nose and he ignored me