[HCoop-Help] HCoop SMTP Server and Spam

Michal michal at hcoop.net
Tue Apr 7 09:11:53 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:
> Are you pointing out a flaw in the way I set up the SPF record, such
> that Google and others might trust our SMTP server(s) less as a result?

Well, only tentatively pointing out a flaw / asking for clarification,
as I'm not really familiar with SPF (it's really just what I have read
up on today, so I am no expert!)

However, the (possible) flaw isn't that others will trust the HCoop
SMTP servers less, but that email sent labeled as from an @hcoop.net
email addresses will be trusted less if they are sent through a server
that is not labeled as trusted in the hcoop.net SPF record. The HCoop
wiki encourages sending the email through other servers, and so it
seems like following HCoop wiki's recommendation will result in less
trusted @hcoop.net emails, which seems a bit odd to me.

In fact, I have just tested this by sending an email labeled as from
my @hcoop address through my local smtp server, to my gmail address.
Looking at the received message in gmail, there are the headers:

Received-SPF: softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning
REMOVED at hcoop.net does not designate 137.205.128.8 as permitted
sender) client-ip=137.205.128.8;
137.205.128.8 as permitted sender) smtp.mail=REMOVEDl at hcoop.net

Which doesn't look very good to me. Again I'm not sure about any of
this... sorry if I am speaking out of place.