[HCoop-Help] Spam bounces

John T. Settino john at johnsettino.com
Wed May 14 19:23:13 EDT 2008

Jeremy,

FWIW,

I used to get a whole lot of those too... what I did was use procmail to
sort them to a special folder called "Failures", using filters for
MAILER-DAEMON/postmaster/etc in the subject/sender fields. The reason for
this is, while I'm not getting 1,500 of them, I still want to know whether
or not an email *I* sent bounced or not. Thusly, I'm not dropping them
all.

My convoluted .procmail file can be found in ~nion/.procmail.d or
wherever, haha.

Hope this suggestion along with what's on the wiki helped.

- John

> Hi all,
> So the other day, some jerk decided that he'd use my email address to
> send a bunch of spam to random email addresses.  Well, at least 1,500 of
> those addresses thus far don't exist, or are hosted by servers that send
> obnoxious "your email has been blocked by our spam filter" messages.
> I'm drowning in bounce messages.
>
> Anyone on this list dealt with a similar problem?  Did you just set up
> your .forward to file bounces in the bit bucket, or is there perhaps
> some standard format to these bounce messages that would allow me to
> filter out bounces that are talking about emails sent from SMTP servers
> other than the two I always use?
>
> Jeremy

John T. Settino
Linux System Admin /