[HCoop-Help] [HCoop-Discuss] HCoop requirement to read user at hcoop.net

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Wed Feb 20 12:21:58 EST 2008

Omry Yadan wrote:
>> 2. I get some of these but not many at all.  Combining basic spam
>> filtering with blacklisting mail not @hcoop.net would surely eliminate
>> virtually all spam.  If you don't give anyone your email address
>> @hcoop.net, then the only emails you will get @hcoop.net are from
>> HCoop--or some spam, if they guess your address.  If this doesn't reduce
>> spam from HCoop to acceptable levels, then there may be a legitimate
>> reason not to want to accept mail forwarded from HCoop.  Right now
>> you're just forwarding all mail without filtering.
>>

> Fair enough.
> moving to hcoop-help.
>
> I tried to create a filtering .forward file, but I didn't get it to work.
> This is the content of my file:
>
> # Exim filter
> if $header_from: contains "@hcoop.net"
> then
>         deliver omryATyadanDOTnet (real email here)
> endif
>
> finish

Actually make sure it is like this:

# Exim filter

if $header_from: ends "@hcoop.net"
then
  deliver "yourname at example.com"
else save "/dev/null" 660
endif
finish

I'm pretty sure the quotes around the email address are important.
And saving to /dev/null ensures that other mail is discarded instead of being stored on HCoop.  Take that out if you don't want to, but only if you're going to be cleaning out or transferring mail and spam off of HCoop at some point.

-ntk