[HCoop-Help] Strange procmail behavior -- things get lost

Kenneth Pronovici pronovic at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 10:14:49 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've had procmail set up at hcoop for about a week now.  I've begun to
notice some strange behavior, and I'm wondering if anyone has a clue
what might be going on.

I moved most of my procmail configuration from one of my machines at
home, the previous host of cedar-solutions.com.  Procmail grabs
incoming mail, filters it to local mailboxes, and then also forwards
most of it off to various gmail "plus addresses".  So, for every
message, there's a local copy and a copy on gmail, filtered into
similar folders and labels.  (There are some spam processing and
whitelist rules in the mix, too.)

The strange thing is, there's a discrepancy between the messages that
show up in gmail and the messages in ~/Maildir on mire: some messages
make it through to gmail but never show up in local folders.  Even
stranger, some of those messages (but maybe not all -- it's hard to
tell) don't even show up in the procmail log.  I *know* they've been
through procmail, both because they're forwarded to the proper gmail
address, and because I can see the custom X-Processed header I place
into each message.

I'm really at a loss.  This setup has been working literally for
years, and I've never seen this kind of behavior.  I mostly notice it
for messages in my greylist, which is where non-spam messages that are
not whitelisted get placed.  I process them with a rule like this:

:0
{
   :0c
   0-INBOX-greylist/

   :0 fhw
   | formail -A "Bcc: xxx+greylist at gmail.com"

   :0
   ! xxx+greylist at gmail.com
}

I have three examples from this morning (between 8:35am and 8:45am
CST) where a message got through to my +greylist address at gmail, but
never showed up either in the procmail log or in my greylist inbox.
My procmail configuration has both VERBOSE=yes and LOGABSTRACT=all
set, so I should see everything...!

Anyone have any clue what I should be looking for next?

KEN

--
Kenneth J. Pronovici <pronovic at ieee.org>
http://www.cedar-solutions.com/