[HCoop-Discuss] Alternatives to Paypal and Stripe?

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Sat Aug 22 15:27:06 EDT 2020

Joseph Yaworski <jyaworski at carotid.us> writes:

> Hello:
>
> Have we discussed alternatives to PayPal and Stripe recently? With
> them taking a cut of membership, it might be a good time to look at
> other options. Some of us could likely do ACH, at least in the US.

Hey,

We have not had any serious discussion of payment processors since we
added Stripe after Google Checkout was discontinued.

I looked into this a bit, and Stripe actually supports ACH with a very
low (0.8%) transaction fee: https://stripe.com/docs/ach

As Ken mentioned, we'd have to look into any possible extra legal
liabilities here, but I think it wouldn't be unreasonable to support for
existing members. I can't quite tell if it's something we can just
enable and support automatically once we convert to using the newer
Checkout widget (we have to switch soon since we're using a deprecated
payment flow)... I attempted to login to Stripe to look further into
that, and unfortunately tripped some security alarms due to not logging
in for years and we are working on regaining access to the dashboard now
(incoming payments are unaffected, we just can't change any settings).

If there are other ACH processors that are simple to integrate with, we
could evaluate those too.

--
Leebert: You don't listen to music.
Leebert: You listen to the audio equivalent of /dev/urandom