[HCoop-Discuss] Surprise $2500 Bill For Bandwidth Overage @ Peer1

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Mon Dec 10 18:10:46 EST 2018

Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> writes:

> Greetings,
>
> I had hoped to resolve this with Peer1 by now, but it has been two days
> and they have ignored us, with only ten days left until they bill us so
> I want to get this conversation started now in case they don't budge...

Some bad news -- our account representative essentially told us billing
at Cogeco will not budge because we are leaving. Billing also seems to
be totally blowing us off and has not responded to any of my inquiries
even after a ticket was opened.

I've demanded that they tell us exactly how many minutes we were over
5Mbps (after dropping the top 5% of samples), which I will try to use to
further the discussion (I am pretty sure we were over 5Mbps for less
than an *hour*, making the charge patently unreasonable).

It's not *quite* time to panic (and please refrain from donating to
cover this quite yet) -- we don't have the money to cover this in our
bank account so it would bounce... but we do have adequate funds to pay
our new provider.

Given that we have terminated services, all of our data has been moved
offsite, and our hardware in the rack is worthless (aside from sensitive
data on the drives that we would like to verify is disposed of
properly), it looks like the worst thing they can do to us in the near
term is refuse to hand the drives over and then send some collector
after us or sue us. Which at least gives us time to come up with options
better than shuttering the coop immediately or forking the cash over for
nothing.