[HCoop-Discuss] Improved Portal Payment Page Preview (Including Stripe!)

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Fri Mar 28 19:34:52 EDT 2014

Jack Hill <jackhill at trilug.org> writes:

> On Thu, 27 Mar 2014, Clinton Ebadi wrote:
>
>> This might complicate things a bit: for Stripe to work, we're relying on
>> them charging a credit card which has a valid Name/Address associated
>> with it (no gift cards etc.) and using that as weak identity
>> verification.
>
> I'm a latecomer to this discussion, and my have misses something
> important, so feel free to point me at the Fine Manual.
>
> I have payed via PayPal (a one off payment, not a PayPal account) using
> gift cards without problem (as an aside, this is a great way to use gift
> cards since it makes it easy to spend them all the way down). Is that
> intentional? I can't remember if I made my first payment with a real card
> or not.

After the initial payment the method shouldn't matter, but in theory
we're requiring a Paypal account and not just a Paypal payment for the
initial balance (AFAICT you can't just send money to an arbitrary
address without an account) which should be requiring a card or bank
account that matches the name on the account?

If not... hrm, maybe we're not verifying identities upon sign up as well
as we ought to be. There might have been some generational loss of
information between boards :(

--
Ethan: i'm working on myself
Ethan: the self is the most important thing