[HCoop-Discuss] Increase In Spam Being Let Through?

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Tue Mar 11 02:35:09 EDT 2014

Clinton Ebadi <clinton at unknownlamer.org> writes:

> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <hi at yagnesh.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> FWIW I am also getting loads of spam recently. would be great if you could do
>> some thing about it.
>
> A week later and... my attempts at retraining the bayes database aren't
> working. It is looking more like we're going to have to start afresh
> with a new bayesian database.
>
> In the next couple of days (unless the bayes filter magically fixes
> itself) I'll be backing up the current bayes db and letting spamassassin
> create a new empty one. Note that the bayes db won't be functioning at
> all (better than marking spam as not-spam though) until it is trained
> with ~500 pieces of mail.

Well, for whatever reason sa-learn refuses to dump the database when
spamd is not running. I am about to give up on having a proper backup,
and am thinking I'll just copy the raw bayes db (mailing list posts I
found imply this is OK) before clearing it.

Since the bayes db is causing more harm than good (by BAYES_00ing
obvious spam), however, I've disabled it as a test temporarily. I really
should have done that week ago.

--
                         Ruled by the ebb of my oceans
                        Slaves to the dusk and the dawn