[HCoop-Discuss] Last Call for Payment Processor Ideas

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Fri Feb 28 05:37:17 EST 2014

Greetings,

I know the "replace google checkout" discussion has dragged on for
months, but I think we're near the end. Unfortunately, there's an
election to run, two new admins to get up to speed, some pretty serious
on-site work to direct, and painful afs upgrades to make in the coming
weeks... I'm wearing too many hats, but at least now the hats I am
wearing are the ones that will let others weave their own to wear!

I looked through the archives for how we handled this last time and
... a wiki page was involved. Which makes sense, so I created a wiki
page with the results of discussion so far:

     http://wiki.hcoop.net/PaymentProcessor2014

Thus far, we've ruled out Square and have Stripe and Coinbase as
candidates. Now that we have a wiki page with options, I'm asking
everyone with an opinion to add their favorite payment processors to the
list. If anyone can dig up info on which countries Paypal won't accept
payment from that would be great too... and info on which countries from
that set the proposed alternatives do accept.

Negative points about each processor are as welcome as positive ones!

I'll be sending a general announcement about the payment processor wiki
page in the next day or three (I also need to announce to election
nomination period opening, the next board meeting, and the next hcoop
volunteer day...), hopefully getting opinions from the less active
members too.

We're having a board meeting on March 9th; after that, my plan is to
create a two week long poll (realistically, I have no time to implement
anything until after the election, so we may as well leave the poll on
the main portal page for a while) with all of the candidates, giving
everyone as many votes as there are payment processors. The top two (?)
choices will be implemented in the portal.

Objections and suggestions to the method for choosing a new payment
provider are *quite* welcome: the above is just the first thing that
came to mind as a decision making process, and I'm not particularly
attached to it (or: this is a democracy, tell me what to do!).

To assuage any fears about finances and the implementation time, we
currently have an entire quarter of funds on hand, and many members are
still paying dues via paypal so our continual income is acceptable, if
slightly below normal. If you have a moral objection to using Paypal, we
will *not* boot you since it's the board's fault we never polled
everyone for opinions before checkout shut down. I've caught up entirely
and acquiesed to my phone beeping at me when payment mail comes in, so
we're once again processing payments same day as of a week ago.

--
No, there's nothing here about X, so be quiet.