[HCoop-Discuss] IMAP Issues?

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Tue May 29 20:46:25 EDT 2012

Hi Clinton,

Webmail is working fine again for me. I use webmail a lot rather than an
IMAP client when I'm on a machine where it's not practical to install a
client and download everything.  Many of the times webmail has been
apparently inaccessible, a local IMAP client works fine.  Many other times
I don't have it available to test, and less frequently IMAP has in fact
gone down, which confuses matters further.

I'm sure having a cluttery inbox is exacerbating the problem, but it can't
be purely a matter of the number of emails, because 1) the inaccessibility
comes and goes, and 2) I've used webmail with close to the AFS limit in my
Inbox before successfully (if sluggishly) in the past, and I seem to have
even more problems recently with much fewer emails in my box.  rcube has
generally been more robust than Squirrelmail, but as often as not both
barf upon logging in at the same time.

So while it's a mystery to me there must be some other variable, perhaps
one of which is system load.  Ideally I should think that webmail ought to
be robust with a couple thousand emails in a folder.  That being said, big
email, and especially scalable POP3/IMAP, is not easy to administer, and
free webmail solutions are not terribly good.