[HCoop-Discuss] New Web Server is Live -- Call For Volunteers to Migrate

Clinton Ebadi clinton at unknownlamer.org
Sat Dec 8 02:51:50 EST 2012

Greetings fellow HCoop members,

After nearly of a year of fighting unix gremlins, I have finally tamed
Debian, OpenAFS, Kerberos, and Domtool to bring forth
navajos.hcoop.net. A KVM featuring 4 cores of processing power and
Debian Squeeze instead of old-oldstable, it should be a welcome upgrade
for all.

To break it in I've moved over my web sites (it was surprisingly easy, I
wasn't planning to do it!), but there are a still a few rough edges so
I'm looking for a few volunteers willing to sit on IRC while we debug
things (or: sit in awe as it Just Works (tm)).

If you're curious about it working, you can simply add:

   webAt "navajos" "testsubdomain" with end;

to your domtool configuration, which will duplicate your default virtual
host on the new server as testsubdomain.$domain. It's currently pretty
tricky to move everything over; I have to rewrite the Easy_Domain macro
to support just setting a single flag, but I expect that to only take a
day. At the time I sent this email, don't expect mod_proxy, outgoing
email, or databases to work.

After we get navajos shaken down, I'll be using our new automated
installer to set up bog, the replacement for mire. I wasn't planning to
do that for a few more weeks, but navajos has worked so smoothly that I
think it may even get done this or next weekend. After that, there will
be an announcment and a voluntary "migration" period (mostly moving any
persistent servers over to the new machine, seeing if you still need to
run your own apache behind mod_proxy, requesting firewall rules, ...).

Additionally, the new server finally restores the firewalling
functionality we had before migrating to peer1:
<http://wiki.hcoop.net/FirewallRules>.

So! Volunteers! In particular, I'm looking for folks using php, cgi in
exotic languages, databases, etc. I know a number of members have been
itching to upgrade their wordpress installations...

--
<captain_krunk> ntk is currently using "telnet fyodor 25" to send email