[HCoop-Discuss] website software for non-technical people

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 22:03:35 EDT 2010

Hello,

I hope I got the right mailing list.

I need to set up a website for my sister's business. It is not large and does not involve any e-commerce, i.e. it's largely an advertising and contact sort of thing.

If I was doing this for myself I would write a bunch of static HTML pages in Emacs, with perhaps a very shallow templating arrangement. However I'd like to cut myself out of this loop if possible, so I ask: does anyone know of good software for this task?

What I'd like:

- standards-compliant output
- easy to edit content within a fixed layout (I'll do the layout up-front)
- easy to upload files (PDFs) and pages and link to them
- secure, but there'll only be a single user.
- robust and simple (both user interface and implementation)
- easy migration to some later shinier thing.

Note the general absence of dynamism.

A friend suggested WordPress. I have no experience of it but have heard scary things about its guts.

Adam, can you do this in 10 lines of Ur/Web?

cheers
peter

--
http://peteg.org/