[HCoop-Discuss] [HCoop-Announce] HCoop Inc. 2010 Board of Directors election

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Sun Apr 4 19:07:44 EDT 2010

Peter,

I am sorry I wasn't clear in describing our voting system.  What we have
used all along, since our original bylaws were written, was that you can
vote for as many candidates as there are vacancies once, and the
candidates with the most votes take the vacancies. (With a run-off
election in case of ties, although the capacity to change votes largely
eliminates this remote possibility).  The only change made was when we
increased our board size from three to five.  We have three classes of
directors now.

You note a shortcoming of our open-ballot cumulative voting system, which
was chosen somewhat arbitrarily as a reasonable method.  Every voting
system necessarily has drawbacks in some situations.  Since our voting
mechanism is governed by our bylaws, it could be changed going forward any
time by a simple bylaws-revision referendum that can be proposed by any
member who believed the approval voting method to be preferable.  I would
only suggest that this be done after some open policy discussion and not
during the weeks/months immediately surrounding any election.

-Nathan