[HCoop-Discuss] Finalizing Hardware Upgrade

Scott Bailey scottedwinbailey at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 13:03:19 EST 2009

Please excuse me coming into this conversation late.

First, I'm using negligible space now, but I will eventually use more.

Regarding RAID.  If the controller dies there is some risk data will be
corrupted.  How much, I don't know.  Certainly any failure not related to
the drives risk corruption or destruction of the data on ALL of the drives
(think power supply failure and spike).

MTBF of HDDs is, I think, fairly high between years 2 and 5.

This is my understanding: software RAID5 is a performance hit while RAID1 is
negligible.

I suspect the cost of "rebuilding" software based RAID is the same: high
enough for RAID5 to affect performance, low enough for RAID1 to run
comfortably in the background.

A good, well supported hardware RAID5 card is expensive.

I currently use hardware RAID5 on my "home" desktop.  But my next machine
will probably be RAID1+0.  To save money.

--
Scott Bailey