[HCoop-Discuss] Mailing list subscription policies

John T. Settino john at johnsettino.com
Thu Nov 12 11:05:10 EST 2009

Hi folks,

I just thought I'd pop in here and throw in my $.02.

How about DomTool integration to see if we host the domain the person
wishes to subscribe with? e.g., people could subscribe with addresses they
host at hcoop, and then we wouldn't have to explicitly allow them to post
to the lists from those addresses (one step less for list mods).

I don't use my @hcoop.net email for anything as an address, but the email
box it points to is the one I use every day... I just have hcoop hosted
domains put email there. The from: address on my emails is an hcoop-hosted
address, but I would not be able to post to any lists without first being
whitelisted.

Adam, is this possible or would it be hacking into our mailing list
software? Your destroy script could then be extended to unsubscribe
addresses associated with DomTool domains that the account you're
destroying had permissions to manage.

As for outsiders (non-HCOOPers), I think we should continue keeping the
archives open (so they can read what everyone is saying), not allow them
to subscribe, but allow them to post only to the -discuss list (via
listmod approval) if what they have to say is relevant.

- John