[HCoop-Discuss] Finalizing Hardware Upgrade

Peter Gammie peteg42 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 20:36:41 EST 2009

On 10/11/2009, at 12:21 PM, Clinton Ebadi wrote:

> Peter Gammie <peteg42 at gmail.com> writes:
>>

>> This seems to be a non sequitur to me: I'm concerned about days of
>> outage as the entire RAID gets rebuilt, if the controller carks it
>> and
>> no compatible card is available.
>
> Even with the basic Dell warranty (that comes with all hardware) a
> part
> would be at the datacenter within 24 hours after failure. 24 hours
> sucks, but we could get this down to 4 (and with a Dell tech doing the
> onsite visit and install) by going with the best Dell warranty (it
> costs
> a few hundred dollars).

Sounds fine with me then, as long as the warranty lasts as long as the
machine is in service.

>> I know some people who do run large (multi-terabyte) RAID setups, I
>> can enquire what they do if you like.
>
> That would be helpful; I am basing the decision to go with hardware
> RAID
> merely on us using it now in deleuze.

Right. One setup is an 8-cpu Core i7 used for datamining sound
recordings. It's not a fileserver as such, and data security is more
important than performance. It's got something like 10 disks in it,
and three SATA controllers, software RAID5.

I'll see what I can find out about one of the uni's fileservers later
today.

cheers
peter