[HCoop-Discuss] Sunday Board Meeting

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sun Nov 8 09:14:43 EST 2009

Clinton Ebadi wrote:
> For dues I think $7/month is reasonable no matter what we do so long as
> we do not eliminate pledges. At peer1 with pledges this covers our
> current costs and slightly more; migrating to a lower cost colo this
> should work out to about $1/pledge/month to offset the cost of the new
> hardware required to transition. Either puts us in a similarly stable
> financial position.

I just want to note that I'm planning, in any case, to reduce my pledge
amount soon to the highest amount that anyone else is willing to pledge
(and maybe lower, if someone suddenly gets very generous). My financial
situation doesn't justify the current level of generosity anymore.

> At this time I think maybe we need to scrap the plans to migrate for a
> quarter or two.

If we can come up with a good plan of members-in-New-York responding
quickly to emergencies, then this would be fine by me. It's other folks
who have issues with the price.

> As such if we stay at Peer1 I think we might want to add a new AFS /
> Database / Email super powerful workhorse machine to replace deleuze
> (and decomissioning after transitioning services to hopper/new-machine
> from deleuze). This would cost us a reasonable amount ($1100-1600
> realistically) and give us dramatically more capacity which would
> actually allow us to expand pretty significantly.

I think we're pretty much agreed that it would be advantageous to add
some new hardware, no matter where we colocate, and we'd might as well
buy something high-capacity if we buy something at all.

> We need to plan the
> software side of a migration a bit more and so I think we should delay
> deciding to purchase a new server for about a month (or just authorize
> the purchase of a server whenever docelic/Adam/I are confident we can
> get a new machine online within a couple of weeks).

I sure hope that I have minimal involvement in such plans. I may even
opt out if someone volunteers me to do more than I'm looking to do. ;)