[HCoop-Discuss] VPS only looks cheap compared to NYC

Adam Megacz megacz at hcoop.net
Thu May 21 13:31:16 EDT 2009

Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:
> I'm not sure I'm convinced that non-VPS options are cheaper for us
> than VPS options elsewhere.

Well, $55 < $800 last time I checked...

>> I host gentzen.megacz.com with rackmounted.com for $55/month.  My
>> machine has 16GB of ram; slicehost wants $800/month (!?!?!) for that
>> and linode doesn't even offer it.

> Do they provide the server, or did you buy it?

I bought it for $700, which comes to $41/mo over the past 17 months.

That figure goes down with each passing month; 30-36 months seems to
be the useful lifespan for a server, so I estimate it will be under
$20/month by the time I retire it.

I still claim that $75 < $96 < $800.  You may have trouble convincing
me otherwise :)

  - a