[HCoop-Discuss] Dedicated servers?

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu May 21 13:04:11 EDT 2009

Thinking about our recent discussions about VPS possibilities for HCoop,
it's occurred to me that something that might normally be called
"dedicated servers" might be more appropriate for us.  Since we can
easily utilize whole machines, we don't have much reason price-wise to
try to get our hands on slices of full machines, and it's nice to avoid
the overheads and uncertainties about resource sharing that come from VPSes.

We had a rented "dedicated server" (fyodor) at InterServer for a few
years.  InterServer had some questionable business practices that make
me want to avoid dealing with them again, but I think it would be unwise
to write off the idea of dedicated servers, just because we "traded up"
from them in the past.  I think our experience with our Peer 1 set-up
has shown that we really aren't equipped to handle hardware addition and
maintenance at even a quarter of the speed that our members expect by
default.  I'm sure we could solve this by hiring staff for enough pay,
but I don't know that we are willing to raise dues enough to cover
that.  It seems like our best bet for our current membership size is to
be paying someone else to keep a set of machines up and running.

Ideally, there would be some provider that lets us buy a server
up-front, such that, thereafter, we pay a monthly fee that only covers
their staffing, data center costs, and replacement parts (with this last
cost weighted by the probabilities that different components fail).  I
haven't found an offer like that yet, though; maybe we could negotiate
with someone, after a trial period of paying the usual monthly rate.

What does everyone this about this vs. VPSes vs. colocating hardware
that we own?