[HCoop-Discuss] On organizing people to get work done

Daniel Margolis dan at af0.net
Thu May 7 17:05:03 EDT 2009

You're right on the AFS and custom daemon stuff. I kind of swept that aside
with the reference to power users, but I agree that without a full VPS or
similar, you're probably not going to get that.

That said, a VPS still allows us to save on hardware costs, potentially. I
really haven't looked at the pricing of this sort of thing for a while, so I
can't say. My main point was that we should try to keep in mind what we can
do better and what we can't. We probably can't do lower overheads, even with
volunteers. We can do more equitable/fractional purchasing and power user
features.

We can also do ideology, as you hint at. If some users believe in the idea
and want to pay more, that's cool, too. It's not something I want to have to
count on.

You're right that a VPS doesn't allow us to save all the staff costs. It
does allow us to save the costs of hardware maintenance.

Ultimately, the needs of those of us who just want cheap low-resource
hosting may be best satisfied by a different arrangement than one which
satisfies the needs of those who want power user features and a democratic
organization. For the time being, HCoop is one of the best bargains for
both. I think we can continue to satisfy both, but that requires, as I said
above, keeping in mind what we do better and what we don't.

If I wanted to get an idea of the current cost of hardware and hardware
maintenance, where would I start looking?