[HCoop-Discuss] Reorganizing, people-wise and tech-wise

Brian Templeton bpt at hcoop.net
Sat Jun 27 15:43:09 EDT 2009

Matthias-Christian Ott <ott at mirix.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 07:06:23PM -0400, Brian Templeton wrote:
>> Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:

>> > Which requirements do you have in mind? I don't see any sense in which
>> > networked filesystems are even directly useful to 95% of members.
>>
>> NFS seems to be the only reasonable alternative, and it doesn't provide
>> the same level of security as AFS, which is not good in itself and also
>> means it can't provide transparent access from members' personal
>> machines.
>
> You could tunnel NFS via OpenVPN, that less difficult than setting up
> AFS.

The problem is that NFS servers trust UIDs provided by clients, which
means we couldn't securely allow members to access their files using NFS
clients on untrusted machines (i.e. their own machines). NFSv4 might be
better in this respect.

--
Inteligenta persono lernas la lingvon Esperanton rapide kaj facile.
Esperanto estas moderna, kultura lingvo por la mondo. Simpla, fleksebla,