[HCoop-Discuss] Reorganizing, people-wise and tech-wise

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sat Jun 27 08:46:24 EDT 2009

Matthias-Christian Ott wrote:
> Configuration management is used to replicate the standard
> configuration file to all servers, so administration is easier. That has
> nothing to do with multi-server deployment by members - you just
> replicate the apache, exim etc. configuration, so that you can easily
> deploy new servers.

I think it's unlikely that we'll have more than two identical servers in
the near future, so that it _might_ be prudent to invest in
configuration management tools now, or it might be a waste of time.  If
the cost is low, then we should go for it, I guess.  We would probably
start out with just one identical server, though, so it would be hard to
tell what's working and what isn't.

> Load balancing doesn't mean that we run high-traffic websites, it just
> means that we use our resources more effectively.

Not necessarily.  The cost of administration effort may outweigh the
cost of wasted hardware.