[HCoop-Discuss] Reorganizing, people-wise and tech-wise

John T. Settino john at johnsettino.com
Fri Jun 26 18:53:00 EDT 2009

Adam Chlipala wrote:
> John T. Settino wrote:
>
>>> Do we really need VMs? I know that virtualisation is hyped these days,
>>> but they should be used with care. Just because we have several VMs,
>>> we don't avoid a single point of failure.
>>>

>> This is true, but do better solutions exist for dedicated a specific
>> amount of CPU and memory to specific applications? Having a dedicated VM
>> for each service can prevent one haywire service from taking down an
>> entire infrastructure, as what happened when AFS borked on delueze the
>> other day. If for example, email was fscking up, you could reboot the mail
>> VM and not have to restart each and every service at the same time because
>> you rebooted the machine they were all housed on.
>>

> I agree that this is a very attractive benefit of virtualization, and
> perhaps it's the only benefit that's really relevant to our near-term
> plans.  (Being able to transfer virtual machines across physical servers
> might make the list, too.)

Very attractive indeed, sir. You might even be able to allow .htaccess,
because Apache won't take down the rest of the server(s)!

>> Does anyone have an accurate listing of just how much data the coop is
>> using? I'm not sure. This would definitely indicate the size of NAS or
>> storage devices we would need to purchase for any RAID arrays.
>>

> Current disk usage on deleuze's AFS partition is 112313540 kB.  This
> doesn't really measure how much demand there is, though, since we've
> been clear so far that it's prohibitively expensive for us to add new
> storage.  I expect we can easily use up terabytes of disk space with
> reasonable projections of membership growth.

If I just did my math right, that's 107~GB? I'm surprised it's not more.
I would say then that in interests of growth, the NAS(es?) we
hypothetically purchase contain at least 1.5-2Tb in them each. That
leaves plenty of room for storage of bother user and system data
(assuming we were storing the VMs there as well, which would be a
GoodIdeaIfYouAskMe).

--
*John T. Settino*
Web Developer / Technologist for Hire

* Please consider the environment before printing this email. :DGC