[HCoop-Discuss] Reorganizing, people-wise and tech-wise

Brian Templeton bpt at hcoop.net
Fri Jun 26 19:06:23 EDT 2009

Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:

> Brian Templeton wrote:
>> I am strongly opposed to migrating away from AFS. Network filesystems
>> are extremely useful, and I don't know of any others that could meet all
>> of our requirements that aren't experimental. AFS may not quite be
>> "commodity", but it's used in _huge_ installations and we know it can
>> scale with us as we grow.
>>

> Which requirements do you have in mind? I don't see any sense in which
> networked filesystems are even directly useful to 95% of members.

NFS seems to be the only reasonable alternative, and it doesn't provide
the same level of security as AFS, which is not good in itself and also
means it can't provide transparent access from members' personal
machines.

I am only claiming that AFS is the best networked filesystem if we
decide we want to provide that as a feature. Whether the tradeoff
between administrative difficulty and member convenience is worth it is
another matter -- I personally find it very convenient, but I also
haven't had to maintain our AFS setup.

--
Inteligenta persono lernas la lingvon Esperanton rapide kaj facile.
Esperanto estas moderna, kultura lingvo por la mondo. Simpla, fleksebla,