[HCoop-Discuss] Reorganizing, people-wise and tech-wise

John T. Settino john at johnsettino.com
Fri Jun 26 14:25:41 EDT 2009

> My opinion (because it looks like people want opinions here):
>
> I was/am definitely one of the hcoop members put off by relearning AFS and
> domtool stuff when I wanna add something to my account.  The main problem
> with AFS that I have isn't that it's networked (which is a great idea) but
> that I can't use the usual unix permission commands to manipulate my
> files.

Same here. No qualms with a networked filesystem (we use NFS at work), but
the ACLs were definitely an unwelcome change (had to modify portions of my
website so it would continue working). For a coop made up of "power users"
who I assume are very familiar with UNIX permissions, moving to an
architecture that we don't have but one person to admin (says a lot about
the technology vs our userbase, right there!), and forcing the rest of the
userbase to learn a new way of doing things, was pretty stupid IMO. Same
goes for domtool v1 -> domtool2. No effort to help the users convert their
existing configs to new ones, just a "learn it or tough crap" brush off.

I believe an ideal architecture would be as follows:

2 identical NAS machines for data storage w/ NFS
2 identical beefy machines, each housing virtualized servers for services
VMs would be something like
mail
web
db
shell
ldap (for auth)
et. al.

Duplicates of everything for failover capabilities, obviously.

- J