[HCoop-Discuss] Our ideal architecture?

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Mon Jun 1 19:08:18 EDT 2009

Davor Ocelic wrote:
> On Sun, 31 May 2009 09:23:48 -0400
> Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> wrote:
>

>> Use Xen virtualization on both machines,
>> so that we can create many virtual servers and move them among
>> machines as needed.
>>

> For our purposes, I recomend openvz virtualization.

I can think of a few reasons why we might prefer Xen.  First, I think
Xen is more popular, so it's more likely to have had folks spend time
implementing features, and it's less likely to have bugs in established
features.  Second, the less tight coupling of VMs seems like it should
rule out some potential security problems.

I'm nowhere close to an expert on this subject, though.  I recognize the
benefit of avoiding loading a separate kernel for each VM, and of
avoiding the need to poke each VM to update the kernel.  I hope other
folks will share their perspectives on the pros and cons of different
virtualization tools.