[HCoop-Discuss] Filesystem poll results

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu Jul 30 09:01:02 EDT 2009

Derrick Brashear wrote:
> I will point out what I did elsewhere: if set up right, AFS is "set
> and forget". My 1994-vintage AFS cell just keeps ticking.

Since you keep bringing this up, I've become curious about the details.
What is the peak number of users of that set-up?  What is the policy for
advertising chances for membership and accepting new members?  A lot of
the issues we run into simply wouldn't be coming up if we were more of
an "old boys' club," inviting friends in at a slow rate.

Also, have you had easy physical access to the machine(s) all along?  We
never have, so hardware upgrades are more work than you might think.