[HCoop-Discuss] Filesystem poll results

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Tue Jul 28 16:11:29 EDT 2009

You can find the current results of the filesystem poll here:
    https://members.hcoop.net/portal/poll?id=21

As of the time I'm writing this, 42 out of 137 members have voted.  They
chose as follows:

20: A local filesystem
13: A networked/distributed filesystem
9: No opinion

To me, "no opinion" should be interpreted to mean that these members
would only want/benefit from a networked filesystem that improved some
aspect of our infrastructure that isn't directly visible to members.
Probably people who skipped voting are disproportionately unlikely to
have explicit preferences for any features beyond the bare-bones UNIX stuff.

We have more than twice as many votes stating disinterest in networked
FS features as votes expressing interest.  This makes it sound to me
like it makes sense to do local filesystem accounts by default and plan
to eventually support (maybe multiple) networked filesystems as optional
add-ons that our "production" infrastructure ignores.

Does anyone disagree with this conclusion?