[HCoop-Discuss] Planning

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu Jul 16 15:37:47 EDT 2009

Derrick Brashear wrote:
>> Keep in mind that I'm talking about the real world, where we have no one
>> familiar with AFS willing to make any particular time commitment to
>> HCoop.  That means that likely newbie mistakes in controlling AFS
>> configuration and processes have to be counted as costs of using AFS.
>>

> Actually, if you guess instead of asking, I count that against
> careless, which is
> free and universal. And it has nothing to do with AFS. If you just
> jump in without looking,
> and it's shallow and your break your legs, or your neck, it's not the
> fault of shallow; it's the fault
> of the jumper. Don't take it as condemnation. It's not. When I don't
> research a decision,
> screw up, and am sad, it is a lesson, not anything else.

I don't think that argument is particularly valid in this case.  My
point is that there is a standard set of daemons that folks run on local
Linux machines.  Many of our members already have gone through the
process of learning to use them effectively.  Learning to use something
new is an inherent cost, and we should avoid it unless it's justified by
the projected pay-off.  In this case, I believe that barely any of our
members really want a distributed filesystem.

>> We have a repeating problem where Apache gets into a state where
>> processes don't have the right tokens to run dynamic content properly.
>> I'm sure there's a way to fix it, but it doesn't seem like that's going
>> to happen, given the realities of our admin situation.
>>

> you can't create a single keytab, install krenew and use it? that's rather sad.
> i could do it in 90 seconds. and being a sysadmin is not expertise i have
> exercised particularly in more than 4 years.

We are using Adam Megacz's mod_waklog set-up, which he installed
himself, customized to our situation.  It requires more than one keytab,
since each user's applications should run as him.  If I knew what the
problem was, I obviously would have fixed it myself by now.