[HCoop-Discuss] Planning

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu Jul 16 10:09:38 EDT 2009

I've just passed a deadline for a work thing that was keeping me busy.
I'll continue to be pretty busy through the end of the summer, but I'm
now expecting to be able to spend a significant amount of time
organizing our transition to wherever we want to go next with HCoop.

We should have an official HCoop Board of Directors IRC meeting soon, to
have official votes on our new directions.  I think we need a fair
amount of additional discussion here first, though.

I'm still favoring switching to a set-up where each non-admin member has
an account on a single high-capacity machine, with minimal use of
distributed systems.  My vision is that these machines would be set up
like beefier versions of what most of us run on home Linux machines.  In
our previous discussion, we ended up with this wiki page created, where
we have three people indicating interest in volunteer admin work on such
a set-up:
    http://wiki.hcoop.net/AdminArea/ListOfVolunteers
Davor, I'm assuming that you're interested in maintaining some
involvement with admin stuff.  Am I right?  How about you, Clinton?

Like I suggested before, I'd also like to see volunteers for two other
groups.  We need some people to take charge of figuring out the right
colocation provider to switch to.  This would be a one-time thing,
without any expectation of recurring responsibilities.  We also need a
permanent committee charged with deciding which hardware we should buy
and who we should buy it from.  Could anyone interested in either of
these jobs please add himself to the wiki page linked above?

The big high-level issues that remain are
(A) whether we want any kind of networked filesystem or other
distributed stuff; and
(B) whether we want to take any advantage of virtualization

Both of these have intuitive geek appeal, along with obvious practical
benefits with infinite resources devoted to admin work.  The way I see
things now, though, is that neither is a good idea for HCoop.  Both
require specialized skills and experience that place serious limits on
our ability to find volunteer admins.  HCoop really isn't targeted at
people looking for the highest availability or performance; VPSes are
cheap enough that members who want those things will look to them
instead.  This isn't to say that we can't provide VPSes some day, but I
think that we should focus on getting the basics up first.  It would
also be neat to offer distributed filesystems and other goodies in a way
that is very unlikely to have any negative impact on members who don't
want to use them.  AFS definitely has not had that property for us.

As someone suggested previously, I think it would be good to get an idea
of how the overall member base feels about some of these issues.  In
particular, I'm proposing sending to hcoop-announce a message containing
the following.  Please reply here with any suggested changes.  I'll send
out the announcement some time this Saturday if no one has any
suggestions by then.
-------------

We're currently planning the right next steps for HCoop, in terms of
what infrastructure is worth working to provide to members.  It would be
helpful to our volunteers if you would vote in this poll:
    [URL]

The question is whether or not you are interested in using a networked
filesystem or other distributed system functionality with your HCoop
account.  AFS and Kerberos are examples of that kind of functionality
that we're using now; NFS is a more common example.  An alternative is
to give each member a traditional UNIX account on a standalone machine.
We've debated the question some on the hcoop-discuss mailing list, and
there hasn't been clear agreement.  Here are some pros and cons for the
different choices.

* Why we might want to keep using distributed systems *

It's convenient to be able to access a common filesystem across HCoop
machines and from personal machines, as is possible now with AFS.
Having this infrastructure in place makes it easier for members to
deploy high-availability distributed applications across multiple HCoop
systems.

* Why we might want to switch to standalone servers *

Distributed systems are less commonly used and more complex.  It seems
likely that most of our performance and availability problems from the
last few years would not have come up or would have been less severe if
we weren't using AFS.  We have a hard time finding qualified volunteer
admins for these less common services; we still haven't had anyone with
significant AFS experience volunteer to make any specific time
commitment to handling it at HCoop.  Many common UNIX procedures, like
SSH public key log-in, permissions for web applications, and standard
usage of cron tabs, require extra work with AFS; with other networked
filesystems, the situation is similar, with either the same problems or
with potential security issues if a single machine with access to the
filesystem is compromised.