[HCoop-Discuss] Federal legislation affecting HCoop operations

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Fri Feb 20 12:01:27 EST 2009

Nathan Kennedy wrote:
>      "SEC. 5. RETENTION OF RECORDS BY ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION SERVICE
> PROVIDERS.
>
>      "Section 2703 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at
> the end the following:
>          "`(h) Retention of Certain Records and Information- A provider of
> an electronic communication service or remote computing service shall
> retain for a period of at least two years all records or other information
> pertaining to the identity of a user of a temporarily assigned network
> address the service assigns to that user.'."

My understanding is that we are already in compliance with this
legislation.  It is _the_service_assigning_the_temporary_address_ that
is responsible for the logging.  We assign no temporary addresses.  Even
if the word "temporary" were removed, I believe we are in compliance,
because we have that wiki page matching users with static IP addresses
that we've given them.  Wiki history is kept indefinitely, so we will
retain records of IP address assignment, even after IP addresses have
been reassigned.