[HCoop-Discuss] AFS choices

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Tue Aug 18 13:35:45 EDT 2009

Franklin Gordon Bynum wrote:
> As for AFS, the benefits may outweigh the costs if we use it for home directories only.

I'd like to suggest the additional alternative of letting members
choose, at sign-up and upon later request, whether they want local or
AFS home directories.  We could split members across different
(virtual?) machines based on their decisions, or we might be able to get
Linux to handle this kind of split nicely over a single kernel.

(I would go for a local home directory, for simplicity of access with
standard tools like public key SSH.)