[HCoop-Discuss] Recusing myself from HCoop planning

Jeremy Penner jeremy at sporktania.com
Mon Aug 10 13:55:30 EDT 2009

Adam Megacz wrote:
> Adam Chlipala <adamc at hcoop.net> writes:
>> The outright hostility I've been getting from some fans of AFS is
>> another issue that provided the concrete tipping point.
>
> I think this hostility you perceive is all in your head.

First of all, reacting to being told that you're being perceived as
hostile by blaming the person who is offended is a hostile thing to do.

Secondly, I don't know how to interpret pre-emptively putting words into
someone's mouth and then ridiculing them as anything but hostility:

https://lists.hcoop.net/private/hcoop-sysadmin/2009-July/009483.html
https://lists.hcoop.net/private/hcoop-sysadmin/2009-July/009487.html
https://lists.hcoop.net/private/hcoop-sysadmin/2009-July/009489.html
https://lists.hcoop.net/private/hcoop-sysadmin/2009-July/009490.html

I'm happy to believe your intentions are good -- you have volunteered
your time and expertise to do valuable technical work for the co-op, so
I don't think that you have any desire to cause harm to this organization.

But if nothing else, I have to speak up to say that the perception of
hostility is not only in AdamC's head, it is also in mine.  If more
members speak up to the same effect, perhaps it will become more
apparent to you that it is not unreasonable to consider your actions to
have been hostile.  Perhaps also you could then consider re-evaluating
the tone you have taken in your arguments and the effect that it has had
on the other volunteers in this co-op, and therefore on the entire
organization.

> I, for one, am only interested in ensuring that the members are given
> an accurate depiction of what AFS does and does not offer.  I do argue
> quite forcefully when I feel they are being mislead, but calling that
> "hostility" is pretty laughable.

May I ask why it is so important to you that the reputation of AFS be
upheld so vehemently?

Jeremy