[HCoop-Discuss] Request for voluntary donations

C. Howell caden at hcoop.net
Thu Sep 18 12:17:34 EDT 2008

Raising the dues would be something of a difficulty for me-- I
switched to hcoop just a few months ago because I was laid off this
year and returned to being a (somewhat destitute) full time student.
I went through the hassle of researching $5/month providers, and then
moved 5 of my domains here-- including recoding a good deal of my
portfolio to run at hcoop, and compiling and configuring
python/perl/php on my own apache.  It would be very frustrating to
have the dues raised at this point or have to switch providers because
I can't afford the new fees.   One of the reasons I am at HCoop was
because my previous provider raised their costs soon after I was laid
off.

HCoop is a great deal, but my understanding was that the low cost was
balanced by the fact that you have to provide a lot of your own
service.  Which is fine with me.  Much cost for ISPs comes from hiring
support staff.  I agree that one member should not have to pay out of
his savings to cover the difference!  That is ridiculous.  But could
we try to raise donations before raising the price?  It seems like
that would be less of an accounting hassle than raising the price now
and lowering it later, and then enforcing that policy on a list of
members who are likely not paying much attention and might get booted
as much for a habit of ignoring administrative emails as for
unwillingness to pay.

In my situation, I would rather make a lump donation of whatever I
can.  That said, how do we donate?  Do we just add more to our
accounts?  Is there a way to earmark funds for the deficit?

Thanks,

Caden