[HCoop-Discuss] Request for voluntary donations

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Thu Sep 18 09:22:56 EDT 2008

HCoop has been around for a while, and our current financial records
trail back to before we were even an official legal entity.  Somewhere
along the line between then and now, our records on the HCoop portal
have gotten out of sync with the balance of our bank account.  The
difference between the two stands at $1820.50 now, when we consider
negative balances of members who left while still owing money, before we
instituted our current policy of freezing member accounts shortly before
they reach the point where this could happen.

It seems prudent to get the two figures in line before proceeding much
further.  We don't really have any methods available to us for finding
the root reasons for the discrepancy, though, so I'm proposing that we
find some subset of members who will voluntarily pledge extra amounts
out of their balances to cover the difference.

Please remember that HCoop has never yet had a single paid staff member
performing any service, including managing our financial records.  I've
done this particular task without pay since 2002, and I'm kind of proud
that the discrepancy isn't even worse, for 6 years of operation. ;-)  I
can't think of any way in which a suspicious member could construe the
situation as a crafty attempt by me to turn a personal profit, but let
me know if you have an objection along those lines, and I can try to
explain why there's nothing to worry about.

It's worth stating explicitly that our bookkeeping system has recently
changed significantly, based on discussion on the hcoop-sysadmin list,
so there is good reason to expect that, once we get things squared away
now, we'll be in good shape from there on.

So, again, I am asking members for donations that will together cover
the $1820.50.  Donations are purely voluntary.  People who make
donations now will receive no preferential treatment or other benefits
later, and no one is expected to donate.  There is no need to worry
about not getting enough donations to cover the deficit, because I can
make up the difference from my personal balance.  (Though it's kind of
sad if I end up providing both my time and my money, to make up for
other members' unwillingness to participate in keeping our finances in
order over the years.)

As I write this message, we have 132 HCoop members.  That means that
$13.80 from each member would cover the deficit.  Anyone considering
donating should assume that nowhere near a majority of members will
donate, so that the even contribution required to cover everything will
be higher in reality.

If you are up for donating, please e-mail me (adamc at hcoop.net) a short
note giving your HCoop username and the amount you want to donate, to be
deducted from your HCoop balance.  Thanks in advance to everyone who
does this!

Below I've included a copy of a summary of the financial situation that
I sent to the hcoop-sysadmin list on September 6th.

BALANCES:
Wells Fargo: 8067.20
PayPal: 37.98
Checkout (payments not yet transferred to our bank account): 38.60
SUM: 8143.78

PORTAL SAYS WE HAVE:
Co-op balance: 911.06
Active member balances: 9053.22
SUM: 9964.28

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE AMOUNTS:
Deficit: 1820.50
Negative balances of members who left without paying up: 314.31
Remaining: 1506.19