[HCoop-Discuss] kerberos problem (and some kind of a solution)

Christian Boesgaard pink at diku.dk
Tue Jan 29 00:57:01 EST 2008

I could not get the password-less login to work. All the stuff
mentioned on the hcoop wiki seemed to work just fine, but my logins
would always fail with

debug1: Miscellaneous failure
Server not found in Kerberos database

and prompt me for a password. I tried many things, but at last I found
something that made a difference: if I have mire.hcoop.net in
/etc/hosts everything works! When I remove it, it fails again. I
really puzzles me, but at least it works...

Fails (lookup using dns):
debug1: Connecting to mire.hcoop.net [69.90.123.68] port 22.

Works (lookup using /etc/hosts):
debug1: Connecting to mire.hcoop.net [69.90.123.68] port 22.

I am curious if anyone can explain why this "solution" works, but
would also post this so others with the same problem can try this.

All the details can be found here:
http://wiki.zibet.net/wiki.pl/Kerberos_Problem

PS. I would like to thank the board and the admins for all the great
work they do to make hcoop work (as a former unix sysadmin I have some
idea of the work required).

Thanks.

--
Med venlig hilsen