[HCoop-Discuss] PHP 5 now available for member use

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Thu Jan 24 17:11:15 EST 2008

>> Changing the domtool default is simple, right? The only problem I can
>> think of is whether currently-hosted sites could break if their
>> default changed when the owner runs domtool to modify something in
>> their setup.
>
> Yes, changing the default is simple.
>
> If we did do this, one way of managing it would be to send email to
> hcoop-announce for people to try phpVersion 5 in their vhosts, with
> instructions to explicitly use phpVersion 4 for anything that didn't
> work.  After a week, flip the switch to PHP 5 and announce that, too.

I agree.  Either give a deadline and switch everyone, with documentation
on how to set the default per vhost, or leave as is, with documentation on
how to change it.

Having two classes of users with hidden defaults depending on when members
joined would be a hassle to implement and a huge pain to support down the
line when it's forgotten about.