[HCoop-Discuss] Goals and policies

S. Taylor staylor at ncf.ca
Fri Jan 4 22:28:04 EST 2008

Any person joining a coop like HCoop should be aware of their obligation
to support the coop by maintaining a minimum deposit.

They should also understand their rights and obligations when they
fail to make necessary payments

- a warning e-mail 30 days before their balance reaches zero
- a notification of suspension when their balance reaches zero
  and how it can be re-activated. This is where a pre-defined appeals
  process is needed - members who review appeals and advise the board of
  their decision.
- a 30 appeal period during which they either use the appeals process
  to demonstrate that they did make payment or they restore the
  minimum balance (deposit plus at least 1 month's payment)
  - in that case their account is re-activated
  - otherwise, 30 days later their membership is revoked.

For current members I'd suggest you send them all an e-mail with your
reasoning for introducing an minimum balance, asking for their
feedback. Unless feedback gives you an alternative, begin using the
bylaws you have: request that deposit. And, as soon as possible get
the necessary approval for a warning-suspension-appeal/revocation
process so HCoop stops losing money and your time.

Some kind of subject flag might better alert members to read their
e-mail: [HCoop-Discuss] + something like [ANNOUNCE] or [BYLAW CHANGE]
or [MEMBERS PLEASE VOTE].

By the way, is there any vote-by-proxy or similar process? I ask
because some HCoop Chat room Meetings have been Sunday afternoons; I'm
nowhere near my computer at that time.