[HCoop-Discuss] Goals and policies

Nathan Kennedy ntk at hcoop.net
Fri Jan 4 17:02:28 EST 2008

This is just a quick recap of goalposts ahead for HCoop and some changes
I see for the future.

1. Finishing migration, getting backup DNS etc at Cernio, and
decommissioning fyodor, which will save us a few more bucks each month.

2. Revise bylaws, most importantly, increase the number of directors on
the board from the present 3 to 5.  Some other changes were discussed
and will continue be discussed in the relevant threads.

3. Related to 2, there will be another board election starting on April
4.  I'd like to push through the bylaws changes soon so that we can have
a meaningful election and add another two directors starting then.  If
you are interested in participating in HCoop's leadership, please start
considering this now if you have not already.

4. As I attempted before and promised in the past, I would like to work
towards setting an official environmental policy for HCoop.  Now that
migration is soon to be completed and membership is reopened, there are
no more excuses, and with the issue growing more important and our level
of hardware much higher, it is more important than ever.  A recent
report indicated that greenhouse gas emissions from IT are now
surpassing those of aviation.  As a cooperative, we need to make sure
we're part of the solution rather than the problem.

http://www.globalactionplan.org.uk/event_detail.aspx?eid=2696e0e0-28fe-4121-bd36-3670c02eda49

5. Most members have been prompt about payment and we are in decent
financial health.  This is aided by a number of members voluntarily
contributing more than a single share.  However there have been and
continue to be a few who remain behind in payments.  A particular
problem is people who default on paying and then leave, forcing the rest
of the membership to come up with the difference.

Our bylaws allow for us to require a deposit, yet we have never really
enforced this.  Our bylaws also allow the board to eject members for
three months nonpayment.  I propose a new mandatory policy of requiring
a refundable deposit of just over three months average costs to be made
(equivalently, keeping ones balance over that amount at all times).
Right now there is no deposit required and members are only emailed when
their balance is very low or actually negative.

This would enable the board to remove nonpaying members before their
debt exceeds their deposit, and prevent delinquent members from leaving
the co-op with bad debts at the expense of responsible members.  A three
month deposit would only be around $15.

-Nathan