[HCoop-Discuss] Proportional Representation?

docelic docelic at mire.hcoop.net
Mon Feb 25 19:31:08 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 06:48:48PM -0500, Adam Chlipala wrote:
> My general response to this thread is somewhat on the meta level.
> Michael, please take this as constructive criticism, as I have no doubt
> that you are acting in good faith.
>
> Most of your messages leave me feeling bewildered.  I almost feel like
> you aren't keeping up with what's going on with HCoop, and that you're
> instead fitting bits and pieces of reality into a template you pulled
> from 1960's hippie revolutionary movements. ;-)

My impression is that Michael is trying to solve a problem HCoop doesn't
have, nor is in danger of having, at least with the curent Board structure.

> There are sort of two angles to the basic complaint you're bringing up
> in this thread.
>
> One angle is something like "the underrepresentation of non-technical
> people."  We don't have the resources now to provide quality services
> for people not comfortable with UNIX system administration.  Prices will
> get much higher if we need to start doing that.  I write "will" and not
> "would" because I expect it to happen when we have enough members to
> make it palatable.

I think moving the story to the part about the cost of providing that
is masking the real problem. HCoop was *never* intended for non-technical
people, as everyone can read in paragaph 2 of our homepage,
www.hcoop.net .

I think the earlier version of this front page stated this even more
explicitly.

But still, all that said, we *do* have a high enough priority
of making HCoop easy for non-technical audience.

So, what I want to say is, even though we're not in any way structured
nor have promised to deliver HCoop to non technical-people, we do want
to reach that goal eventually, and Michael you are still finding
something in this to criticize. It just makes no sense to me.

-doc