[HCoop-Discuss] [docelic,ntk] Balances policy

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Sun Feb 24 13:00:38 EST 2008

OK, let's try this again, and hopefully come to a conclusion that we act
on this time. :-)

We want to change our handling of member balances to avoid letting
members slip into delinquency.  After discussion on this list
previously, it sounds like the board might approve this plan:

- Every member is required to have a deposit with us equal to estimated
three months' dues at the lowest pledge level.  At current pledge
levels, this is approximately $15, and it should go down automatically
when expenses stay the same but membership grows.
- When any member's balance (now not counting the deposit) goes
negative, we start trying to get his attention by disabling some subset
of his services yet to be determined.
- This shouldn't come us a surprise to any good HCoop citizen, because
every member will receive low balance e-mails for two months prior to
when we would freeze an account, along with the negative balance e-mails
that would come in the three months afterward before the board could
vote him out for non-payment.
- When a member with a pledge amount set above one would be charged an
amount that would make his balance negative, we reset that member's
pledge to 1 before continuing.
- An hcoop-announce message will proceed changing of anything visible to
members.
- We give a one-month grace period following the announcement for
members to digest the changes and get their balances positive enough.

I vote for this scheme.  docelic and ntk, your decisions?