[HCoop-Discuss] Proportional Representation?

Stephen Taylor staylor at hcoop.net
Sun Feb 24 00:30:22 EST 2008

[liberally snipped for sanity ]

I digressed into saying I agree with Michael and said
why. Some of it is useful

> > Michael Potter wrote:
> > Disagreement from individuals or a minority group
> > here is generally
> > disregarded or put down.

> > allowing for minority voices to have some
influence
> > would reduce the
> > tension

> [ntk] some back and forth, not a lot; a few major >
concerns, not all the same
> current structure lets all have input
> - anyone can run for board and it's 5 people
> every member has up to five votes

> most members are not Americans.

Co-op is first co-operative and second technically
adept.

This co-op probable got going because technically
adept people formed a co-op. Technical first, co-op
second.

And sought people with general *nix/web skills when
they really meant people with skills
similar_to_theirs.

If like me, members find the "package", the
combination of hosting site and price a good deal. But
hesitate to participate because the reward for making
a mistake or asking before reading the docs is not
shared laughter or "look it up in XXX and if you don't
find the answer, let us know"  It is criticism or
technical problems because (I surmise) after X number
of errors, it stops working.

Examples:

J. Settino's discovery that his experience was not
enough and it was his problem.

My blunders when I joined and asked for help.

The bounced e-mails I never received -- until I asked.

The problem I created yesterday with a bad .forward
file. I fixed it, it tests okay but I'm missing mail.

The lack of response (1) to my h-discuss e-mail full
of suggestions; some would make a better co-op.

The failure of the moderator system. Mail to
hcoop-misc, get warning cause address is unknown; get
nothing more and no sign of correction.

The wiki. To me, it's a brainstorming, organzing, etc.
tool. Response I got said it's for technical data.

The etiquette thing. Unstated rules about adding your
reply to the end of someone's post need to be stated.

-----------------
I know the people who made HCoop work hard. I say
share the work. Find people skilled enough, reliable
to help:  moderators; wiki-gnomes (people who watch
for wiki spam and delete it); I'm sure there's more
that doesn't require an experienced sysadmin to do it.

And I think the non-American's ntk (Nathan) refers to
find it even harder to join in negative talk.

Let's make a co-op so we can do whatever with our
piece of it.

And get the IRC identities known

[yes I brainstorm and I condense my thoughts. Ask for
detail. Please. But not snow! (I'm Canadian)]

- a voluntary departure (and arrival) survey of
going/coming members. What hooked/unhooked them.

Stephen Taylor/duoduo