[HCoop-Discuss] [docelic, ntk] Cracking down on negative balances

Adam Chlipala adamc at hcoop.net
Wed Feb 20 19:39:26 EST 2008

Nathan Kennedy wrote:
> I don't think the deposit should be based on 3 months at pledge level.
> I think it should be based on three months at the minimum contribution
> level and be the same for everyone.

I'm open to any idea where we aren't providing services without payment
at any point. Certainly modifying my plan only by ignoring pledge
amounts wouldn't achieve this goal; the regular deposit might not be
enough to cover even a single month's payment by someone with a high pledge.

> I think that our system should, for any member whose (new sense) balance
> reaches zero, should automatically reduce their pledge level to 1
> immediately,

This is a great idea. Too bad that it requires some additions to the
portal, but I think it's worth doing. :-)

> and that pending implementation of this, we should unwind
> and bill out any donations above the 1 unit pledge level out to the
> membership from members who have negative balances.  There probably
> aren't many in that situation anyway.  And that the balance should be
> the same for everyone, based on 1 unit pledge level.

You're suggesting forcing the membership at large to pay for the extra
charges that a few members incurred by setting pledges too high? I'm
still in favor of doing a one-time request for voluntary contributions
to cover negative balances of departed members, but it doesn't make
sense to me for people who still want to be members in good standing.